Wholesaler certification is for a business that import Certified organic products (bulk or retail)
Required documents to be assessed by ACO every year
- HACCP based plan outlining plans for management structure, pest control practices, product handling, storage and sale,
staff education and labeling systems
- Activity records related to the above plans
- Organic Handling Plan or QA manual
- Import documentation, non-treatment statements
- Complaint Procedure
- Product and labels approvals
Key objectives of certification
- A HACCP based plan outlining plans for management structure, pest control practices, product handling, storage and
sale, staff education and labeling system shall be in place.
- Clear segregation, both physically and visually, shall be carried out to avoid risk of co-mingling with conventional
or uncertified products.
- Bulk commodities arriving shall have documentation and signage defining the product, the certification level and the
certification number etc.
- The onus is on the operator to ensure all traded items are certified organic with a certifier recognized by ACO
and also to keep updated certificates of the items.
- Trace documents enabling trace back to all suppliers need to be kept.
- All products leaving the premises shall be accompanied by labeling systems and/or documentation that identify the certification status.
- Importers are to make sure products are certified by ACO or an equivalent certification organization approved by ACO.
- Establish an Approved Supplier List to verify who you generally source certified organic products from and keep updated
certificates for each supplier.
I import organic herbs and spice. Is there anything that I need to be aware of in relation to organic certification?
Firstly, you have to make sure the organic certification of the herbs and spices is recognized by ACO. Secondly, you need
to make sure they are not fumigated or irradiated when imported into Australia and obtain documented proof. Herbs from
particular countries are required to be fumigated by AQIS. If they are fumigated or irradiated, they will lose their
organic status and can only be sold as conventional product.
If you have any questions about Wholesaler/ Importer/ LP certification, Contact Us or
Apply Now to receive your info kit!